Articles and Extras.


A ticking timebomb Is Your Electrical Panel a Timebomb? - Certain products are just poorly manufactured and are usually recalled. Electrical panels (also called circuit breaker panels, load centers, or fuse boxes) are no different. It has been discovered over time that panels made by Federal Pacific Electric (FPE), Zinsco, and Sylvania are poorly designed and dangerous to use. If you have one of these it's like having a timebomb waiting to explode. Read more >

Lighting strike Power Surges Destroy Your Stuff - The Tampa Bay Area is known for its lightning storms. If lightning strikes a power company electric line within 20 miles of your home, a voltage spike can be created that can ruin your not only your sensitive and expensive electronics but all other connected devices as well, like your water heater, air conditioner, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer and microwave. Read more >

Baby in danger of electrocution Protecting Children with Tamper Resistant Receptacles - They look just like ordinary outlets, but are designed with an internal spring-loaded plate that closes off the receptacle openings. When a plug is inserted, the equal pressure on both side of the plate, opens the plate, and allows the plug to enter. Without this simultaneous pressure, the plate remains closed, preventing insertion of foreign objects and protecting your children from painful, traumatic electrical injuries. Read more >

women getting a shock Avoiding Shocks with GFCI's - Electricity is incredibly useful, but inherently dangerous. Even a very small amount of elelctricity can shock someone to death (about the amount used by a nightlight bulb). GFCI's protect people from severe or fatal electric shocks. They can also prevent some electrical fires. GFCI's are required in all new construction, but your home may not have them (or enough of them) if it was constructed before they were required. Read more >

An arcing wire Avoiding Fires with AFCI's - A loose connection, a small break in a wire, or a break in the insulation of two adjoining wires can cause arcing. Arcing creates high intensity heat (may exceed 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit) resulting in burning particles that may ignite material such as wood framing and insulation. The wire can be one permanently inside the wall or a plugged-in cord. Read more >

An open junction box An open Invitation for a Fire - All electrical connections are required to be made inside a fire resistant junction box which is completely closed with an approved cover. Open junction boxes are one of the most frequent dangers we see in attics and garages. A loose wire can throw a shower of sparks onto combustable building materials such as wood and paper backed insulation resulting in a house fire. Read more >

A power strip that caught fire Don't overdo it - Power strips are handy because they have all those places to plug things in. Power strips are dangerous because they have all those places to plug things in. The wall socket circuits in your home are protected by 15 or 20 amp circuit breakers meaning they will not trip until they sense more than 15 or 20 amps running through the wires. An overloaded 10 amp rated power strip can catch fire and the circuit breaker will never trip. Read more >

Electrical fire Is your home safe? - Many people totally ignore their home electrical system until something really bad happens...like a fatal shock or a fire. No matter the age or condition of your home, these dangers can be present. Take a look at the sources of these dangers. Read more >

Extension Cord Are you over extended? - Extension cords are meant for short term use. If you have extension cords that haven't moved in years, it's time to consider putting in a receptacle where you need it. You will be much safer! Extension cords wear easily and can cause fires since they use much lighter wire then the 20 amp circuit they are plugged into. And never put one where it will get walked upon. Read more >